Tuesday, February 24, 2009






This is a 16" x 20" oil on canvas painting. I began it as a plein air painting when I was an artist-in-residence at Indian Dunes National Lakeshore, but for some reason I left it unfinished and just went back to it recently. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Quite often, as in life in general, it is a good idea to walk away from some things and return later to get a fresh perspective on whatever it is at hand. In this case it was a painting that I wasn't getting resolved for some reason until recently. I think that time probably gave me more clarity as to what I was wanting to accomplish and I guess I wasn't as concerned about whether I had a finished product - I just wanted to experiment a bit. This is much more impressionistic than is typical for me. It was fun to create. I think the colors of early evening are so beautiful - they really make the sand, dunes, sky, and water really come to life. I think you get a real sense of the richness of the light in this scene. The National Lakeshore really is this colorful and beautiful.
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is a great destination whether for a few days or an extended stay. Its proximity to Chicago gives one many opportunities for a variety of activities. The site is quite a treasure in general and certainly for us here in the midwest. One can enjoy activities on Lake Michigan, get a workout climbing the dunes, explore the bogs and fins, camp,hike, enjoy the varied wildlife and then head off to the city for additonal activities.
I do plan on posting this painting on e-bay if anyone is interested. You can search under the title "Evening Glow on the Dunes".
"Joy is not a matter of what's happening around you, but inside you". Steve Miller
Thanks,
Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment