Sunday, February 22, 2009



I'm back. Its been almost a week, I'm not sure if anyone noticed. Was just caught up with busy stuff. I thought on this beautiful, sunny, cold day that I would post a plein aire painting of a sunny little trail and creek. This was done during one of my residencies with the National Parks.

For those that don't know what 'plein aire' painting is - it is painting out in the fresh air, the plain, open air. Artists haul their easel, paints, and canvas out on location and paint while being inspired by the light, air, sounds, and by everything that surrounds them. Most artists will attest that it is ideal to paint from life - whether it is nature, or a model for figurative work, or an actual still life, however, it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes working in the studio from memorey, reference photos and sketches are what an artist has to rely on. Often times plein aire painters will begin and finish a painting in one outing and therefore the paintings tend to be very loose and somewhat impressionistic. The artist is sort of painting their impressions of what is before them. Sometimes an artist will make multiple trips to a site to finish a painting.

Anyway, about my week, I did sell a couple of paintings - one from this site and one from e-bay. A very talented decorator, Cindi Jones of Savvy Shoestring Interiors, bought the teacup filled with roses as a gift for someone. Cindi now resides in Birmingham, Alabama but 'works her magic' in both Illinois and Alabama. The other painting that sold is the 'Italian Light' which went to a lovely lady in Michigan (her papa is from Italy). Thanks to both of you. And thanks to the artists who sent many positive comments and words of encouragement about my work on e-bay -I appreciate that too.

I purchased a little bargain this week on e-bay ($23.- can't beat that) - a tiny painting, about 2.5" x 3.5" but it makes quite a statement. It is a colorful beach scene painted by Laura Forst, a Florida artist. It is quite a treasure. Photos of art on the computer rarely do them justice as is the case here. I knew I liked it but now that I can hold it in my hand I absolutely love it. I didn't ask if I could post a photo of it, so you will just have to imagine it.

There are bargains to be had on e-bay and elsewhere - for the cost of a dinner, a carton of cigarettes, etc... you can get a nice piece of art - and it will last.

Don't forget to check out the links to the right side of the page - very interesting.

"See the rocks in your path not as obstacles, but as opportunities to climb higher". Eleanor Wiley

Talk with ya' later, Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment