Sunday, March 7, 2010

Unfinished Business


Just got back from Mt.Vernon, IL, about 2.5 hours south of home. What a great weekend - got to see a special someone, had great weather, drove some of the backroads of Illinois, and stopped by the Illinois Artisans Gallery in Whittington, IL on Rend Lake. What a beautiful area - southern Illinois. One of the great things about Illinois is the changing topography as one drives through various parts of the state.
I am also an 'Illinois Artisan', have been for a number of years but only sent art to the Chicago and Springfield galleries...haven't submitted any art in recent years so I might to do that again...I was inspired seeing this gallery space, the work of other artists', and after talking with the manager. Another thing to add to my list of 'to do's'.
Anyway, this image is one that I started a couple of years ago at a winery down in southern Illinois (trying to remember the name of the town and winery??) when I met up with some St.Louis artists to paint 'en plein aire'. The weather didn't allow much time for painting - rain (in this case painting with pastels), so we just met up inside and sampled some wines...what else were we to do???? As I said, I started this a couple of years ago...I keep bringing it out to finish as it was left unfinished. But I like it like this....it doesn't seem so unfinished to me. It has the feeling of a study - kind've a preliminary sketch/painting I do to prepare for a 'finished' painting.
Soooooo, maybe it is finished - I am coming to that conclusion. Not unlike life in general, sometimes unfinished business really is finished.
I know there is more to say on this subject. If I had some wine I would most definitely go on some more but I think I am 'finished' for tonight.
"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far". Neil Simon
Thanks for stopping by, Helen

4 comments:

  1. Come and have some Moscato with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring the glasses! That does sound good....might get down your way one of these days. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I'm not an artist but I love the soft-edged uniqueness of your paintings. Please visit me at my blogsite for artists/musicians/creative people. I write it with people like you in mind.
    freetospeakblog.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Betsy - I will be sure to take a look!
    Appreciate you stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete