Saturday, March 7, 2009



Well, here it is the middle of a Saturday afternoon.. back from running errands and having coffee with my mom....a little routine we started when my father was still alive. He was in poor health for a long time and so when someone would stay with him for a bit we would run out on Saturday morning and take care of some errands and then maybe have time for coffee. It was a bit of respite for us. Sometimes that is all one needs to get going again. Sometimes that is all we have. It was difficult taking care of him at home and involved sacrifice but that was a choice we made and one we never regretted.

I guess I am thinking about priorities and time constraints as I have been corresponding with an acquaintance of mine who is trying to get motivated to get back to his art again. It can be very difficult and challenging to 'find' the time to do things we say we 'want' to do. I told him about a friend from the art world who I happened to be complaining to about not having enough time for my own art and experimenting with it, etc....My decorative painting (which of course has been my livelihood) took up so much time and energy, as did family, household, yard, friends, volunteering, and so on and so on....My friend said 'when you want to do it you will'...ouch...I thought to myself 'who does he think he is saying 'when you want to '. Of course I want to. We really have to challenge ourselves sometimes and ask 'what really is important to me'? And, what am I willing to give up or cut back on in order to do, achieve or accomplish what we say is important to us. When we scutinize our time any of us are probably guilty of some wastefulness in our schedules. It is okay to have some of this in our schedules but .....? What is really important and what are you doing about it? Talk is cheap.

Okay, so how did I choose this painting with this post - well, I chose the painting and then wasn't sure how to undo my choice. I guess if I have to tie it in I could still go back to priorities and doing something about those 'to do's'. I'm always thinking I'm going to eat healthier, therefore an image of some fruit??? This was a little oil study I did and I liked it as did the customer who bought it. I'm sure I could say much more on this topic but will wrap up now so I can take care of some of my other priorities.

"Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life" Bertolt Brecht

Thanks, Helen

Sold

1 comment:

  1. I love the colors used here, so calm and satisfying, really nice job. Glad your painting has a special place now.
    I hope your friend is once again motivated, and we all have (find) more time for our art. Best wishes as always.

    ReplyDelete